Saturday 12 April 2014

DISCERNING THE VOICE OF DISCOURAGEMENT 3

MEMORY VERSE: fear thou not, for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness, Isaiah 41:10
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Sam 28, 1 Cor 9, Ezek 7, John 8
In these series we have learnt that the voice of discouragement is inevitable for anyone who wants to succeed. Not only that, we have to come understand that the voice of discouragement is not from God. God is not a discourager but an encourager. Isaiah 41:10 says fear thou not, for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Before we look at another source of voice of discouragement, I want you to know that the voice of discouragement can come at any time. It can come weeks before breakthrough like we saw in Mark 8:31-33. Jesus told His disciples about the plan of God for His life, how He had to die and save the world. Peter called Him aside and began to rebuke Him in other words discourage Him. Immediately Jesus rebuked him and he kept quiet. The voice of discouragement can also come days before a major breakthrough like we saw in 2 Kings 7:1-17. There was famine in the land; the only food available in the market were dove dungs (feces or excrement) and only the rich could afford it. The poor started eating their children. The Lord spoke through Elisha that in 24 hours, there is going to be abundance of food. People will have so much food to the extent that the prices of food stuff will drop. An item that was sold for 10 units before the famine will now be sold at 1 unit of the currency. As Elisha was relaying this message to the king, one of the personal advisers to the king – an economist said it was impossible. Even if God were to open the windows of heaven, things cannot get that better. Elisha told him you will see it with your eyes but shall not partake of it.
The voice of discouragement can come moments before breakthrough.
Friends the enemy is most active moments before breakthrough. I have shared my experience of how the voice of discouragement came an hour to my breakthrough (completion of my final year project). The voice of discouragement can come minutes before breakthrough, an example of this can be found in 2 Kings 5:1-19. Naaman had everything money can buy but he was a leper. Not only that, he was lonely and willing to do anything to get his life back. He heard about Elisha and decided to pay him a visit. On his way the prophet sent a servant to instruct him to go and wash in river Jordan seven times. The voice of discouragement began to tell him why river Jordan when there are better rivers in Damascus. As he turned to leave in anger, one of his servants begged him not to give up and do what the prophet had commanded. He washed himself seven times and was healed. If not for the mercies of God, the voice of discouragement would have robbed Naaman of his breakthrough. It takes only the grace of God, to overcome the voice of discouragement moments before breakthrough.
PRAYER POINT: Father, help me to stand to the end.
Bro Samuel – Reaching the world for Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment